Friday, June 15, 2012

Deacon James

This post is a little delayed...two weeks actually, but better late than never!

We are excited to welcome our new little boy into the family.
Deacon James
Born at 2:33pm
on June 1, 2012
weighing 8lbs 10 ounces
measuring 20 1/2 inches long!


Birth Story:
Deacon was induced.  I was 39 weeks 4 days, and due to all that was going on my doctors agreed to induce me.  The night prior to the induction I planned on getting a good night's sleep - since it would be my last for a while.  When I laid down at 11:30 pm, I started to get contractions.  I was up for the next three and a half hours with contractions every 5 minutes.  They never got closer together, and eventually around 3 am they tapered off so I was finally able to fall asleep. 
We woke up at 6 am and called the hospital to make sure the induction was still on and they told us to come in around 7am.  I was actually quite nervous about getting induced because I had heard horror stories and I really didn't want to end up with a c-section.  When we got to the hospital my contractions had started up again, and when they put me on the monitor they were surprised to see the contractions had already started and were every 5 minutes.  Around 8 am the pitocin had started.  I managed to get through the pitocin contractions for 3 hours, and then at 11:30am I got my epidural, knowing the doctor was coming at noon to break my water.  I didn't know how quickly I'd progress after that so I figured better be safe than sorry. 
After my water was broken and my epidural was in I figured it would be a relaxing few hours until he was born.  Not so much.  Around 1pm Deacon's heart rate started to decrease, not in association with the contractions.  They put me on an oxygen mask and turned off the pitocin.  They also repositioned me to see if maybe Deacon was laying on the cord which was causing the decreased heart rate.  I got really worried becasue I thought here comes the c-section, but Kyle and I prayed at around 1:30pm that everything would be ok and that I wouldn't have to have a c-section, and boy did our prayers get answered.  Not long after that the nurses were comfortable with taking the oxygen mask off and the doctor had them restart the pitocin again...slowly.
Within a half hour I had them check me and I was fully dilated and having the urge to push.  By the time they had gotten everything set up and had the doctor come in it only took two and a half pushes and Deacon was out!  I was surprised when I opened my eyes and there he was!!  I thought for sure I'd need to push a few more times! I am so grateful to God that He allowed everything to go well and that I didn't need a c-section.  I'm also so grateful that the doctors allowed me to be induced so Deacon could spend a few days with my mom before everything started.



 I couldn't believe it when they put him on the scale and said he weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces!!  Both Noah and Grace weighed 8lbs 0oz so I was certain that because he was induced Deacon would be smaller.  The Lord provided in this way showing His divine power by giving us a BIG healthy boy.



Noah and Grace came to meet their new little brother that evening - despite all of the tornado warnings and terrible weather!  They were very excited to meet Deacon, but even more so to see me.  They were climbing all over me, and I didn't mind.  I missed them!  The nurse was concerned about them hurting me, but I didn't care.  If they wanted hugs, I wanted to give them!

 They each took a turn holding Deacon and I saw for the first time what I was in for!  The chaos that filled that room when Noah and Grace were there was exciting and scary all at the same time.
 Kyle was great.  He sat with me during the whole labor and we enjoyed having some "alone" time before Number 3 showed up.  We made jokes, laughed and he encouraged me through each contraction.  Best of all he led us in prayer as we asked for God's hand in a safe delivery.  I'm so happy to have Kyle in my life and for the leader that he is in our family.  When Deacon was born I looked at Kyle and he had tears running down his face.  Since we had 2 nurses (one was orienting) he didn't really participate in the birth so was able to just sit there and watch.  He said with having the 2 older siblings he hadn't thought much about this pregnancy or the little boy on the way so all of the emotions of 9 months of pregnancy hit him at once when Deacon was born.

The next morning I enjoyed some very quiet time with Deacon.  Knowing this would be my only chance to enjoy him one-on-one I soaked in every minute.  I even got a photo shoot in! 
Just Born.
 We originally had planned to name Deacon with the middle name Nathaniel, but with all that is going on with my mom, and all of the prayers people have prayed for her, we wanted to honor that.  We decided to name him Deacon James for James 5:15 - And a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick.  The Lord has already provided so much healing, and we continually pray for more.  We can't wait to celebrate Deacon's 5th birthday, and my mom's 5 years of being cancer free!

Deacon also got to meet Great Grandmom Videon.  Grandmom was born in 1922, Deacon born in 2012.  To see 90 years of family and heritage all in one seat was pretty incredible.  Grandmom was tickled to be able to come to the hospital to see Deacon and I, and we were thrilled to have her.

Finally, here's a picture of my parents with their newest and 6th grandchild. 

Deacon has truly been a blessing.  He is a very laid back and calm baby.  At times I feel like he  is an angel that God sent to calm our hearts during this difficult time.  He has been a great sleeper and very tolerant of his older siblings' "love" and "affection" for him.  I don't feel the sleep deprivation that I usually have with a newborn and for that I am so grateful!
My mom has always said God's timing is perfect, and Deacon is proving that to me everyday.  I didn't understand it all at first, and sometimes I still don't, but I know that Deacon came exactly when we needed him to.  He is a reminder that despite everything that happens the Lord still gives and still provides His blessings and His love.

James 5:15
And a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick.

James 5:16
The prayer of a righteous man is both powerful and effective.


No comments: